Pages

Forgiven of Debts

Sunday, August 3, 2014

The moment I woke, I rolled onto my knees and asked Father for His help, mercy, and grace. I was to go to the BYU scholarship office and plead for mercy. At the beginning of the summer, I was awarded a full time scholarship for the Spring and Summer terms. Though only 0.5 credits were necessary to lay claim on the money, I naively signed up to audit my drawing class, unaware that auditing was not equivalent to enrollment. 

Just days ago, my mom and I realized that the scholarship money would not cover my audited drawing class. BYU expected $760 from us, money of which we do not have to spare.

Austin and I are just two weeks away from being sealed for all time and eternity. Oh how I love and adore him. I cannot thank Father enough. The adventures of being poor together await us, and we excitedly look forward to learning and growing with one another - ever trusting our Lord and Savior. In preparation for the upcoming financial responsibilities, we have prayed earnestly for Father's help and support.

And so I hopped on my bike and went to the scholarship office. I arrived a few minutes before 11:00am, a Tuesday morning. Quickly, I realized that it was the appointed time for BYU's weekly devotional. 

Grateful to attend, and recognizing God's great timing, I went to the devotional.

By no small chance, only by divine planning and mercy, Sherri Palmer - a nursing professor - was assigned to speak.

As they introduced her, they mentioned her role as the international nursing coordinator. At that moment, the Lord clearly and powerfully exhorted me to check my GPA, reminding me that it may have changed after completing my international course. 

At the end of winter semester, I had a 3.79 GPA, a score .01 short of a half scholarship for Fall and Winter. But to my amazement, my GPA was increased by .01 points after finishing my international nursing course in India - making me eligible for the scholarship!! I praised our God in prayer, thanking Him for helping me realize such a blessing just moments before going to speak with the scholarship counselors.

An hour later, off I went, trusting in and pleading for His support as I begged for forgiveness. He forgives debts. I was hopeful that my brothers and sisters would do the same.

I went first to the OneStop Scholarship and Tuition booth where I humbly explained my situation. My first words were, "I am here to plead for mercy," and then continued to describe my naive mistake. The young girl listened and then quietly informed me that there was nothing she could do. I wept, standing before her, vulnerable and helpless. She encouraged me to go speak to the counselor to discontinue the art course in hopes of redeeming 50% of the courses cost. I went to the bathroom, wiped my tears, and walked to the counselor's office. 

A tall Polynesian woman, one of BYU's counselors, approached me, her eyes were kind and her voice was soothing. She introduced herself and welcomed me to her office. She listened intently as she inquired to know more about me and the beautiful life Father has given me. Together we shared a sweet, and sacred moment as we talked about my nursing career and her experiences as a recipient of healthcare. 

I was filled with deep compassion and respect for this kind counselor, awed by the grace of Christ that has shaped and strengthened her. What an honor it was to meet her and to share such a sweet moment with her and the Lord.

She then asked me why I needed to drop my drawing class. I started to explain my situation, recognizing that there was little to be done besides dropping the class to redeem 50% of the cost. She diligently looked for a way to forgive me the debt within the set bounds. But there was nothing she could do at the moment.

Content, I then presented my hope to be re-processed for the Fall/Winter scholarship due to my increase in GPA. She apologetically explained her limitation and incapacity to do so, explaining that the scholarship application process was long over. I understood, and recognized her sweet desire to help. How grateful I am to have been sent into the stewardship of such a kind and Christlike woman. I could feel the love of our beloved Savior as I sat with her. I could see Him in her countenance.

Upon returning home, I wondered why Father would have me check my GPA prior to speaking to the counselor - but I cheerfully moved on, thanking Him for providing a way for 50% of the art class fee to be lifted. Little did I know, there was much more Jesus was doing. 

Two days later, I received an email from the BYU Financial center, informing me that I have been awarded a half-tuition grant for this upcoming Fall and Winter! Oh how sweet, how merciful, how gracious! 

I called my mom to rejoice, and upon closer examination, she saw that the $760 fee for the audited art class was forgiven in full!

I was amazed, awestricken, and grateful beyond degree! Lisa, the sweet counselor Father had sent me to, had not only found a way to forgive me the class fee, but she graciously made possible a grant for my last year of school! Oh how sweet! How merciful! How gracious! Thanks be to God and His Son Jesus Christ!!!

I testify that our perfect and wise Father in Heaven and His beloved Son Jesus Christ, want to help! 

Said by one of Christ's living apostles, Elder Holland:
"Just because God is God, just because Christ is Christ, they cannot do other than care for us and bless us and help us if we will but come unto them, approaching their throne of grace in meekness and lowliness of heart. They can’t help but bless us. They have to. It is their nature." - Elder Holland, Come Unto Me

They live, and Their love for us is perfect. We can trust Them!! Oh how I thank Father for the precious experiences He has blessed me with so that I could learn this for myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs