The concept of having a house key was completely foreign to me. And this quickly became detrimental after moving into my first apartment sophomore year. My darling roommate was raised very differently than I in regards of house security. In fact, she was an avid door locker and would never close a door without being sure the lock was in place. Consequently, I would find myself locked out of the house quite often. After a while, I remember feeling frustrated and annoyed with my roommate. I would become angry and upset with her. And my impatience bothered me.At the time, I was in a BYU marriage and family class with Brother Richardson of the General Sunday School presidency. He was teaching us the beautiful formula for becoming united with God and one's spouse.
Genesis 2:24
"Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."
Leave -> cleave -> and be one.

Meanwhile, while reading in the Book of Mormon one afternoon, Father guided me to Moroni's address on faith, hope, and charity. As I read these passages, the Spirit brought these words with power and light to my mind:"Cleave unto charity" (Moroni 7:43).
Surely I was taught from on high that day. My eyes were opened and I beheld a new and deeper understanding of the formula Brother Richardson had taught us. Leave, cleave, and be one. If I were to cleave unto charity and become charitable even as Christ is, I first must leave behind every unkind, impatient, judgmental, and angry thought. As the scripture says, I needed to think no evil.
I wanted to be filled with this pure love - so, I poured my heart out in prayer to Father in Heaven. I remember feeling the grace of His Son purify me and change my perspective. Jesus cleansed me of all negative thought and empowered me to cleave unto charity, filling my soul with love. As the word "FULL" implies, there was room for nothing else - I was FILLED with love. Instead of becoming frustrated by finding the door locked, I became joyful in locking the door with her. I would think: "I love my dear Kristen and I want her to feel safe!" So, I would lock the door with cheer.
Oh how grateful I am for this beautiful life in which we can become like our Father in Heaven! It is through the grace of His Son, Jesus Christ that we can change now. Now is the time to change. Let us become charitable!
love julia
Leave every bad thought, cleave unto charity, and be one with God.
No comments:
Post a Comment