Pages

The love story

Thursday, January 29, 2015

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/10/consider-the-blessings?lang=eng

Dating and marriage are acts of faith. And I so testify that Heavenly Father is eager to help us as we write and live our love stories. Indeed He is intricately involved and intimately invested.

I am ecstatic that the Spirit has nudged me to write Austin's and my love story - for it brings me great joy to praise Heavenly Father for His micromanaging hand. My life with Austin is the most precious gift God has given me. It is through His Son's infinite sacrifice that I have the privilege of belonging to Austin for eternity. Our love story will never stop! It only gets better, for Christ surely is the "high priest of good things to come" (Hebrews 9:11). I love and thank God endlessly.

So, this is how Austin and I began:

Winter 2012 - My Grandpa Jeppsen was sick. He and grandma lived in St George - so, with Heaven's inspiration and direction, our family hired a home health company (Care To Stay Home) to take care of them. On my way home from BYU to Vegas, I would stop in St George to collaborate with the caretakers in ensuring the best care for my beloved grandparents. 

Austin's mom - Susan Frazier - is the owner of the home health care company we hired and I remember sitting with her and my papa discussing grandma and grandpa's care. I had just received my mission call - and, being the excited pre-missionary that I was, I told her where the Lord had called me: the Washington DC South Mission.

No sooner did she cry out in excitement: "My son is there!" Austin had been serving in the same mission for a few months and, like every good mother, she went on and on about how wonderful and good her son was. I smiled at her excitement, promised to take a picture with him, then didn't think much of it again.

A few months later, I left my beloved family with tear filled eyes and a faith filled heart and entered the MTC. After three weeks, I flew to DC. 

Momma Susan had emailed Austin, informing him to look out for me. Because I was her client's granddaughter - she bid him to say hello. It was by heaven's design that we met. Because of the vast number of missionaries - I may have never met him. But being the obedient son that he is, Austin approached me at the close of my first transfer meeting to say hello.

It was my first day in the mission field - the first day of 18 months of consecrated service to our Savior Jesus Christ. (Mind you, no dating or flirting is permitted for a wise purpose during this time). It seemed to be a whirlwind of information and missionaries. My spunky little trainer, Sister Rozsa, was running about in the craziness of the moment. Already eternally grateful to be her companion, I stayed close beside her.

In the midst of the chaos, Austin walked up to me and introduced himself. In that moment - time seemed to stand still. The voice of the Lord pierced my soul with a power so profound, I can hardly describe it. Peace infused every fiber of my being as His words etched into my soul: "This is the man you will marry." I will forever be indebted to the Lord for such an intimate and infinite experience. 

I was reverenced in awe and amazement. Taken aback by the Lord's powerful words, my mind hardly knew what to think. But alas, time started to press on again and the first thought that came to my mind was this: "Well, I suppose I should take a picture!" (And if you know my mom, such a thought would be expected from those she so lovingly raised haha.)



A picture was taken, then I was rushed forward by Sister Rosza - again immersed in the excitement and miracles of missionary work.

Ever so graciously, Jesus helped veil this profound revelation throughout my mission. It proved never to be distracting, for which I marvel with gratitude. Since we both served in leadership, I would see Austin periodically - but I was strict to avoid talking to him beyond the typical Elder-Sister greetings. Though I hardly got to know Austin, I came to know the Lord. Jesus became my companion and friend. I will give everything for Him, I will do anything in His behalf, and I will be all that He asks of me. I trust Him and our Father in Heaven. 

I will forever cherish my mission. It was by Their grace and mercy I came to see Their hand moving through me and the lives of my beloved brothers and sisters. 



But alas, it was the great and dreadful end. November 2014. Both Austin and I were at the close of our missions. I came out exactly at his 6 month mark, making it so we would return home at the same time. Indeed, God has impeccable timing. 

I went home to Vegas, and Austin to St George. During this time, I was tempted to forget the divine revelation that had purged my soul 18 months prior. Patterns of the past made it easy to forget. But Father bid me to remember - for He had not only my happiness in mind, but the happiness of each of His children.

I felt the Holy Ghost encourage me to listen to "Cast Not Away Therefore Your Confidence" by Elder Holland daily. Satan was seeking to destroy my confidence in the light I had received from God. I felt perhaps a portion of what Moses felt, who, after having had a miraculous and astounding experience with Heavenly Father, came down the mountain to find the adversary awaiting his return. Satan sought to counter all that Moses had seen and become. But Moses pressed on. Calling upon the Lord, He received strength to rise up and become a mighty leader and instrument in the hands of God. He held on in confidence to what the Lord had revealed to him.

The Holy Ghost paralleled my experience to that of Moses. Leaving behind that which was familiar and comfortable was taxing. But as I relied desperately on the Savior's outstretched hand, I withstood the adversary's attack. I was comforted and strengthened. In reverence and awe, I thank God for His omniscient wisdom that blessed me immensely.


Meanwhile, Austin and his parents came to Vegas for a friend's mission farewell a few weeks later. Indeed it was by divine design. My parents, never doubting the sacred and profound experience I had had with Heavenly Father, encouraged me to invite the Fraziers for breakfast.

Austin had never had a serious girlfriend. So his awkwardness in dating, my awkwardness in thinking "I don't know you and I might marry you," combined with that of our awkward 18 month long missionary-esque interactions - we proved to be pretty awkward to say the least. Hahaha. But oh how grateful I now am for it! It revealed to me his purity and enabled me to love him without blemish. 

The awkwardness pressed on. I took a step of faith and basically invited me and my mom to spend the night at the Frazier's house one weekend. My mom's lame excuse: to see Tuachan's live nativity. Hahaha. Though we were pretty awkward, our parents driving most of the conversations, God was ever with us. Austin later asked if he could come to Vegas to deliver a Christmas present. My family, aware of our hopeful potential, decided to invest in Austin. We got him a $100 rock climbing device while Austin sweetly traveled the 145 miles to deliver a scarf :)

Our time home after the mission drew to an end. It was time to return to nursing school. I went to BYU and Austin went to UVU

We would see each other occasionally - going on a date once or twice a week. Things were progressing slowly. Thanks to God, I was beginning to feel more comfortable around him, our awkwardness subsiding.

I would talk with Heavenly Father often about Austin - and He would gently and kindly respond. I was growing unsure about how slowly things were moving. One day - while in the temple - God assured me that line upon line, little by little things would bloom and develop in a way that surpassed my imagination. "Be patient my daughter."

Then, by God's goodness and micromanaging hand, Austin's family offered me a job with Care to Stay Home. It was perfect - surely a gift from Father. I was assigned to take care of a darling couple who lived only a few blocks from Austin's apartment. Not only did they become some of my most dear and beloved friends, I started to see Austin every day after work. 

It was in this time I started to fall in love with my precious Austin. I was constantly amazed at his goodness and Christlike demeanor. His devotion to God is humbling, his commitment to obedience is inspiring, his love and forgiveness is freeing, and his eagerness to improve and be better is synergistic. Being in Austin's presence causes me to draw even closer to Christ and to strive to be more like Him. I will forever thank Father for the privilege of having Austin as my eternal companion and friend. 







Our sealing was divine. The image of my sweet husband kneeling over the altar of the temple, and the profound feelings that accompanied it, is forever etched upon my soul.
 







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs